Sunday, September 24, 2017

Yep, it's one of those "I'm back" posts

Oh my. It has been a very hard summer.

My in-laws' circumstances changed and they needed to move.
I interviewed every nursing home and assisted living place within twenty miles of my house.
I spent weeks helping my in-laws downsize fifty years worth of stuff.
I helped them move and settle into an assisted living apartment.
I spent a week in hospital by my father-in-law's bedside while he suffered with pneumonia.
We consulted with doctors as things took turn for the worse.
We watched my father-in-law pass away peacefully in hospice.
We began the grieving process.
We had a military funeral.
We had a huge number of family members stay at our home.
We also had another family stay with us for three months.
I cooked so many meals (and I am definitely NOT a cook).
I weeded my overgrown garden (and I am definitely NOT a gardener).
I weeded my in-laws overgrown garden.
I took my child to the children's hospital for a day surgery.
I got an old house ready for sale.
I repaired $7,000 worth of damage to my in-laws' home after vandals got in and wrecked the place.
I had no access to my dolls or dollhouses.
I had no time for doing anything creative.
I have been chauffeuring my mother-in-law to all her various appointments.
I am very tired.

The visitors just moved out, and now our house is ours.
Life is getting back to a new normal.
Things are very peaceful and we have started homeschooling again.

Oak Leaf Forest is still here and Willow Ridge is currently being unearthed.
Dolls and furniture are emerging from boxes! Stay tuned.
Cheerio,
Sam

11 comments:

  1. Oh my Sam, what a terrible few months you've had. So sorry to read about you FIL passing, my deepest condolences to you and your family.

    I had a feeling that life had been intruding in the Oak Leaf Forest causing the Urban Elves to go into self imposed hibernation, but I'm pleased things are on the improve now and that we will be reading about further construction on Willow Ridge soon.

    Sending you the biggest hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Xanadu. Life can be so exhausting sometimes, but just seeing my dolls and dollhouses again is really rejuvenating me. I cannot wait to get Willow Ridge up and running!

      Delete
  2. Hello Sam,
    I am so sorry to hear about your father in law. What a crazy busy summer you had. I hope you will now be able to take some time for yourself.
    Hang in there.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Giac. Yes, finally there is some time for me now! I am pulling out my dolls and dollhouses and it feels like Christmas.

      Delete
  3. Oh Sam! Life got very REAL for you, and you had sooooo much to deal with! Bless you for taking on so much to help others. I hope this is the beginning of all of that love coming back to you seven fold, and that reality takes a back seat to the creative and playful side. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jodi. Yes, things got too real for sure. I have decided that I do not want to do all that ever again! Now it is time for me to have some fun. (If only I could work as fast as you do on miniatures!!!)

      Delete
    2. It's easy to work on minis fast! Just stop cleaning your house, have your groceries delivered, and make everyone eat cereal and sandwiches for dinner, lol! :OP
      Having the kids grown and on their own really helps, too!

      Delete
  4. I can identify with what you're going through, been there when my mother passed in 2013 and helped my dad clean out the house(still is not cleaned out, they are hoarders,) but it sounds like hell. I am so sorry for your FIL passing away, my sympathies. Get your dollhouses and dollies out, take long walks, laugh, eat candy, create more, and life will get back to normal again. I hope to see you post more of the Urban Elves soon...take care of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa. I am working on my houses now and it feels great!

      Delete
  5. I supposed you to be busy during summer as most bloggers are and I am very sorry to learn that your reasons for staying absent from blogland are really sad ones. My deepest consolations for your loss... having lost my beloved father in February makes me understand some of the things you had to go through very well. But you must have really shouted out loud: "Here!!! Here I am! Got some terrible stuff to give away? Give it to me, I'll take it!!!" As if it wasn't enough to loose someone dear with all the side effects this causes but having to deal with vandalism too and long-term visitors is really something to pity you for. Take care of yourself and I cross my fingers for you to have a fantastic end of the year with many good moments and plenty of time for miniatures.

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Birgit. I am getting back into my dolls and dollhouses now and I am really enjoying it.

      Delete